Friday, September 5, 2014

Little Story about Susie and Dar

The girls were bored and at a loss
To find a treat that did not cost
An arm, a leg, no more a dime
They chose confectionary dross


They pulled two nickels from the grime
And gave them to the clerk part-time
He took the coins, he let them drop
Into the drawer, like bells they chimed


The girls ran from the candy shop
Their hearts aglee with what they'd got
Susie reached in, to her surprise
A fist of icky greenish glop


Back to the store with angry eyes
The girls cried foul, they did despise
Their hopes of candy were not met
The clerk endured their cruel chastise


When Susie said, "You are in debt!"
The clerk's raised brows began to sweat
"Please, Miss, you see, I didn't mean,
to cause you all of this upset."


Miss Sue, she counted to fifteen
Then calmly said, "What do you mean?"
The clerk, named Dar, a smile spread
On lips up to his eyes of green


I found your face, your golden head
Your lilting voice and what you said
It charmed me so, I wanted more
I tried to speak, my voice, it fled


The trick I used, I do deplore
I never meant to make you sore
If you'll forgive, let’s make a plan
To quell our silly little war


Miss Sue, she liked this scheming man
She asked her friend, "Oh, please, Dianne,
If you would hasten to my house
And straighten up the white divan


Dianne, all-knowing, did not grouse
She promptly scampered like a mouse
She cleaned the couch, and baked some bread
She hoped the two, they would espouse

Which they did, in weeks, were wed
Their love it tied a tidy thread
But when Dar makes a sweetened sauce
Sue fears something else instead!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This Rubaiyat, a Persian-form of poetry, first appeared in ClassicalPoets.org, April 2013

No comments: